Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Teaser: David Kramer discusses the importance of friendliness and hospitality to help build your business. His passion and devotion to his craft shine through as he’s able to demonstrate how being kind and hospital has helped his business grow.
Thank you for visiting the Defining Success Podcast. Please download, subscribe and rate our podcast on iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/defining-success-podcast/id619459909 Thanks for listening!
David Kramer from Los Serranos Country Club
The son of tennis legend, Jack Kramer, David is the Senior Vice President of Los Serranos Country Club in Chino Hills, CA which recently won the 2012 Golf Course of the Year by the California Golf Course Owner’s Association. He’s a lover of golf, tennis, sports, and recreation, but most importantly, he’s a lover of people.
David got his first set of golf clubs when he was 10 or 11 and he was fortunate enough to play golf 3 or 4 times a week when he accompanied his father on a trip to play in the Davis Cup in Australia. His father then got involved with Los Serranos Country Club of which David became a part in.
As a young man, David was interested in all kinds of sports and he was able to play any sport he wanted to. David worked at Los Serranos Country Club when he was 13 and 14 years old. He became General Manager in 1997 and was Assistant General Manager in 1992. He worked as a tennis professional and helped manage some tennis colleges and schools and has been very fortunate to be involved in recreation his entire life.
David talked about his dad, Jack who was a great father and a great parent. Jack lived a charmed life and he did what he loved to do and he became the top tennis player from 1947 to 1954 and after that he gave back to the game in a variety of different capacities. But his greatest accomplishment was that he wanted to make tennis more available to the public.
The best place to transfer values is through the family where there is love for that tradition or profession.
David still communicates with friends that he met in the second grade and his group of friends still have a large impact in his life today. In 1965, there were 51 people who graduated in his class and he still communicates on a regular basis with close to 25 of them. He’s been able to share a lot of experiences, stories and ideals with his childhood friends.
The advice David would give to someone who wanted to start a goal would be to work hard to become a better person and to grow as a person. And if you work hard at becoming a better person you will become better in business.
David and Andrew Kramer at St. Andrews Golf Course.
David loved working at Los Serranos Country Club because, as he says, “People come happy,” and he was just happy sharing and participating with the people who visited his golf course. He feels very fortunate doing something that he really enjoys and he truly feels that he’s living his passion.
You really have to find out what your duty is and what your skills are that you can use to deliver the goods. If you’re struggling at work then you’re probably not doing what you’re supposed to do.
Golfers have been coming to Los Serranos since 1925 and in 2012, Los Serranos Country Club was recognized as the Golf Course of the Year by the California Golf Course Owner’s Association for their contribution to the game. They are very involved in the community, youth, service organizations and their ability to manage a golf course to provide championship conditions at reasonable prices and provide valuable services to the members.
David feels success is a culmination of factors that basically comes in to finding the “sweet spot.” Meaning that when you’re doing great things and helping others a person can be successful. He advises others to use friendliness and hospitality in order to build your business.
Engaging Discussion Questions:
- How can being friendly and hospitable help your business?
- Do you think family has a role in the professions we choose?
Links to Great Stuff:
- Los Serranos Country Club – “Set amidst 300 lush acres on the historic Don Lugo Spanish Land Grant and convenient to Los Angeles, Orange and San Bernardino counties, Los Serranos Country Club offers an unparalleled Country Club experience at affordable prices. The two 18 hole golf courses are certain to appeal to players of all levels and ages. The world class facilities include championship golf, full practice areas, golf school and lessons, new Kids Course, and an award winning Clubhouse that features our elegant Montebello Ballroom, restaurant & lounge in the Racquet Room, locker room ammenities and Golf Shop. Los Serranos Golf & Country Club is the perfect complete Country Club experience for the entire family.”
- 19th Hole Media – With 19th Hole Media, we’re trying to grow the game of golf. Many golf courses are behind the times when it comes to marketing the game and we’re trying to build it at a grass roots level by helping golf courses develop a strong online presence for their business in order to attract more customers and encourage more golfers to visit their golf course and to do so more often.
- Welborn Social Media
- “Hospitality and friendliness comes from within.”
- “The world is my family.”
- “It’s good to know who you are. It’s good to know where you’ve come from. And it’s good to know where you’d like to go.”
- “If you learn to love something as much as your mother and father loved something, that’s a great place to start.”