Thank you for visiting the Defining Success Podcast. Please download, subscribe and rate our podcast on iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/
Alejandro Reyes grew up on the wrong side of the tracks. His life was filled with struggle, but he did have one thing going for him . . . a supportive grandmother who would pray for him every day to succeed. Alejandro is now the host of the Get Internet Famous Podcast, author of the book, Get Internet Famous and has experienced success in a variety of different capacities. Learn from Alejandro in Episode 23 of the Defining Success Podcast.
Alejandro Reyes wants to help you get famous. Not the TMZ or Kardashian kind of famous, but the kind of famous that will offer you influence and impact to grow your income. He is also the host of the Get Internet Famous Podcast and author of Get Internet Famous: The Ultimate Guide to Building Your Platform, Growing Your Influence and Changing the World.
Alejandro got into marketing online in 1999. The only reason he started his business online was because he didn’t have a car and needed to figure out a way to make money. He heard Bill Gates say that by 2010, half of all sales would occur online and so he sought out to see how he could grow his business online.
In 2003 and 2004 Alejandro learned how to drive traffic to websites using MySpace and in 2006 he built his first six figure business online and he didn’t work very hard to make that happen. Because of his success he wanted to help people learn how to use the online skills to grow their businesses. In 2008 he came out with a coaching program and he had a belief that everyone was going to become a social media guru.
He worked offline and started running workshops in Sacramento to help local businesses use social media and the Internet to reach more customers. He was featured on almost every major news outlet in Sacramento and developed quite a following.
Last summer, Alejandro’s wife applied for a nursing school in Seattle, was accepted and within three weeks Alejandro sold his business and took a job in Seattle working for the same school his wife was attending so she could attend school for next to nothing. But Alejandro wanted to do more so he re-launched his brand online, Get Internet Famous and he’s been able to connect with old friends.
The inspiration for Get Internet Famous came from an article Alejandro read in Wired magazine which basically said that anyone can get Internet famous. The article helped him understand that there was an opportunity for him to get out of his poor lot in life. He wanted to inspire people who have buried their passions and wanted to help them get it out. He thought that if he could help people unleash their passions he could help change the world for the better.
Alejandro attributes his success to the prayers of his grandmother. Alejandro grew up around drugs and alcohol within his family. His family was broke and they felt dysfunctional. His grandma would continually pray for Alejandro and encouraged him to pursue his dreams. Alejandro says his grandma was the most successful person he knew. Even though she had no money, she was rich because everyone loved her, she was lively and always happy.
One thing Alejandro mentioned was that sometimes there are people in your life that help you and support you and that sometimes you owe it to those people to go on and do great things, and to not be complacent.
Getting Internet Famous has nothing to do with marketing. You have to have passion. If you love what you do you’ll never work a day in your life. It would be something you would do regardless of whether or not you got paid to do it. You have to also be good at what you’re passionate about. You have to be gifted and have some expertise at what you’re passionate about. In order to become great at what you do, you have to work really, really hard to be good at what you do. When you’re willing to work really hard you can start to come up with your messaging.
Alejandro suggests asking 5 to 10 friends who have your best interest in mind. Once you ask 5 to 10 people what you’re passionate about and then find out if you’re good at what your passion might be.
Alejandro Reyes started using Snippet to write Get Internet Famous and then he decided to start his own podcast right at the same time. He basically re-launched AlejandroReyes.com, but wanted to make it more about the other customers. Alejandro says, your personality gets you to stand out online.
Email is the first thing people check in the morning is and almost everyone sees emails more likely than Facebook, Twitter or any other platform. It takes between six and seven encounters before people make a decision to purchase.
A huge opportunity exists for people to create offline connections with people they meet in the online world. By connecting with people you meet online you can establish long-lasting fruitful relationships with people online, enhance your credibility and become an expert.
Alejandro thinks he’s made lots of mistakes, but the two biggest that came to mind for him was not generating an email list quickly enough and not spending enough time with his family when he first started his business.
Alejandro thinks he’s helping change the world by helping others make a difference by helping them create a larger audience to have a larger impact.
Engaging Discussion Questions:
- What would you be doing whether you got paid to do it or not?
- Do you work hard for yourself or for others?
Links to Great Stuff:
- Get Internet Famous – Alejandro Reyes has been helping entrepreneurs & companies with online marketing for over 10 years. He plans on sharing guest interviews, insights and inspiration to help you grow your business and change the world.
- Wired Magazine – “Wired (stylized as WIRED) is a full-color monthly American magazine and online periodical, published since January 1993, that reports on how new and developing technology affects culture, the economy, and politics.”
- Gary Vaynerchuk – “Meet Gary Vaynerchuk, a 36 year old New York Times and Wall Street Journal Best-Selling author who is also a self-trained wine and social media expert. From a young age, it was clear that Gary was a businessman. At 8-years-old he was operating seven lemonade stands in his neighborhood and by 10 he had moved onto selling baseball cards at local malls. In high school while working at his family owned liquor store, Gary started reading The Wine Spectator and wine books, and realized collecting wine offered an allure similar to his previous hobby of collecting baseball cards. With a wealth of knowledge and an entrepreneurial spirit, Gary spent every weekend of his college years at his parents’ wine store. Recognizing the importance of e-commerce in 1997, Gary launched Winelibrary.com and helped grow his family business significantly from $3 million to $45 million by 2005.”
- Snippet – Like Twitter for books, we limit the word count to 1,000 words max per chapter (unlimited chapters). So, in essence, we’re between a tweet and an e-book. Now as a writer, you can get new ideas to market faster, share expertise, test new book ideas, create companion pieces, or tell entirely new stories—all in less time.
- John Wooden “Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming.”
- Zig Ziglar “If you help enough people achieve their dreams, along the way you will achieve theirs as well.”
- “Do what you’re passionate about, love what you do, and serve people with a crazy enthusiasm.”
- “If your personal life is out of order, your personal brand will suck.”
- “Email marketing is the biggest opportunity in marketing online right now.”
- “What would you be doing whether you got paid to do it or not?”
- “When you marry your passion and your gifts, that’s where the magic happens.”
- “The soul purpose of getting known online has everything to do with the people that you serve.”
- “How do you stand out and pierce through all the noise?”
- “We owe it to people sometimes to be the best version of ourselves.”
- Download, review and subscribe to the Defining Success Podcast on iTunes.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter – @DSuccessPodcast
- Sign up for the Defining Success Podcast Newsletter.