Kim Nelson is the owner of I Love Daisy Cakes. She cooks and mails some of the most delicious cakes all over the country. She appeared on Shark Tank and struck a great deal with Barbara Corcoran and has never looked back. Learn how she was able to take sales from 2,000 in 2010 to 25,000 in 2012.
Thank you for coming to the Defining Success Podcast website. Please download, subscribe and rate our podcast in iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/
Kim Nelson knew early on that baking was her “God-given talent.” She started at an early age and made some wise business decisions on her way to her appearance on Shark Tank at the end of 2010.
While in the Shark Tank, Kim asked for $50,000 for 20% of her business and struck a deal with Barbara Corcoran for exactly what she asked for.
She’s worked hard to build her business and took her cake sales from 2,000 in 2010 to more than 25,000 in 2012.
Her biggest mistake in business was not looking into all available options when it came to shipping her cakes across the United States. She recently switched shipping options and has found it much more convenient for her business.
She advocates people pursuing their passions and advices those interested in baking to go for it.
Her cakes have appeared on the Nate Berkus show and with Anderson Cooper and has been creating opportunities with celebrities because her cakes taste so good.
Takeaway: Explore Your Options
Many business owners are very good at taking action to accomplish particular goals, but sometimes it’s very important to consider all your options before making business decisions.
In Kim’s case, she had been paying more than twice as much for shipping going from $45 per shipment to $20 per shipment just by switching shipping companies. This change in value will help grow her business as she will be able to sell more for less, reaching more customers and making more customers happy.
Taking action is a good trait to have, but learn to explore all your options when making important business decisions and you will be rewarded for doing so.
Engaging Discussion Questions:
- What is your “God-given talent”?
Links to Great Stuff:
- I Love Daisy Cakes – Some of the greatest hand-made cakes you’ll ever have. Her cakes have sold everywhere thanks to an appearance and Shark Tank and their wonderful recommendations.
- Shark Tank – The Shark Tank appears on ABC every Friday night. The sharks are entrpreneurs who invest in companies who pitch their product to the “Sharks.”
- Welborn Media” – When it comes to website design in Southern California, be sure to explore your options.
Quote of the Episode:
“To make people happy with what makes me happy.” – Kim Nelson
- Download, review and subscribe to the Defining Success Podcast on iTunes.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter – @DSuccessPodcast.
- Sign up for the Defining Success Podcast Newsletter.
- Introduce us to anyone who loves what they do and are successful doing it.