Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Will Mitchell is a serial entrepreneur. Learn from Will why new businesses must set goals in order to become successful. Learn how Will has implemented goal setting in his businesses to build more effective, successful companies.
Will Mitchell is the owner and co-founder of StartupBros. He has been an internet entrepreneur since he started skipping school to build businesses in the 6th grade. After numerous business engagements at 22. Will launched StartupBros, a community for aspiring entrepreneurs to learn from like-minded people.
Will started skipping school to start businesses when he was way too young. He had a lot of failures and through his failures he has achieved some success. Will became interested in business at 12 or 13 years old and he started skipping school because he became disenchanted with it. He saw a lot of potential in business and he knew that was where he wanted to be.
When he was younger, Will started importing goods from China and became very successful until China banned the exporting of the product he was importing. He then went on to start a business called FashionBidder.com, an eBay for fashion, which didn’t go very well. He the started a clothing company which also didn’t go very well.
The realization that came to him which helped him overcome his business failures was that he realized that he needed to create value for other people which he wasn’t doing with his previous businesses. All the business ideas he had that failed were ideas that he thought were cool, but they weren’t ideas that would help anyone.
StartupBros are trying to help as many new entrepreneurs as possible. They are pulling in people who were successful on their own and they take their knowledge and break it down to see what they would have done if they could start all over again.
Will has some clients that they help one-on-one, a mastermind that will help students, a new book that they’re hoping to sell and they’re offering a new product on how to import services.
The #1 thing Will would tell people is to create value for people first and foremost and then learn to create ways to make money off of the value you’re giving to others.
The biggest mistakes entrepreneurs make online is because they don’t actually know where they go or what they are trying to accomplish as they are working. Knowing where he wants to be in 5 years and 10 years helps him become more consistent. Businesses must set goals in order to be successful.
Will has set goals at different times of his life. He wants to get StartupBros to the point where they can continually teach entrepreneurs how to succeed.
Will works with entrepreneurs in a one-on-one scenario, but he’s hoping to convince more people to connect with the products and services he’s offering through StartupBros.
The biggest mistake Will had was losing his business focus. He considered going into politics and it made him very cynical. Learning to not let the world impact him as much has made him a better person.
Will was involved in a company called influence.org which went public and he was very happy about that. StartupBros is the first business project that is connected with his personality and he’s very proud of what he built.
Engaging Discussion Questions:
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 10 years?
- What do you think it takes to be an entrepreneur?
Links to Great Stuff:
- StartupBros – “The only way to achieve success and freedom from corporate machine is to READ OUR BLOG POSTS! Well, maybe that’s a lie… but really, you need to learn how to leverage your knowledge and the knowledge of others and turn it into value and a cash income.”
- Affluence.org – “Affluence is a private social network where accomplished individuals connect, share information, and engage in meaningful conversations. Our members also enjoy exclusive, high-quality content and feature advice from industry experts on subjects such as art, technology and travel.”
- “As entrepreneurs you have to force yourself to live outside of the world around you.”
- “That’s a big disconnect is being able to connect the value you create and the money you make.”
- “Success is accomplishing a goal.”
- Rate and Review the Defining Success Podcast in iTunes!