Podcast: Play in new window | Download
David Meerman Scott is a marketing strategist, advisor to emerging companies, best-selling author of eight books including three national best-sellers, and a professional speaker on topics including marketing, leadership, and social media. In Episode 46 of the Defining Success Podcast, David shares his ideas on real-time marketing and how you can use real-time marketing to help your business grow.
David Meerman Scott
David Meerman Scott wrote the New Rules of Marketing and PR and he’s helping businesses understand how the marketing world has shifted to giving and receiving instant feedback so you can be found online. In Episode 46 of the Defining Success Podcast, David Meerman Scott talks about Real-Time Marketing and its implication for the future.
David’s first job was at a Wall Street Street Bond Trading desk which he hated. He then began selling economic services to traders and he learned that he was really doing more marketing than he was selling. He then got a job in marketing for a company called Knight Ridder and he’s been a marketer ever since.
In 2002, David Meerman Scott worked for the News Edge Corporation was acquired by Thompson-Reuters and he was an officer and was asked to leave because they didn’t need the management team going forward and it gave him an opportunity to see what he wanted to do moving forward. At 39, he realized he could do some consulting on his own and in 2005, his second book was called Cashing in With Content and his most well-known book is the New Rules of Marketing and PR which has sold 300,000 copies.
Since 2007, David has been earning his income on the speaking market. He drifted from one point to another. David wasn’t afraid to do things that others said would be a mistake. And these events all worked out great for him. In 2002 when David decided to start his own thing and many people looked down on people who started their own businesses because it was seen as if you couldn’t find a real job.
Each of the things that paid off the most were risks that Scott took.
The old rules of marketing and PR were that you either had to buy attention for your business or yourself in the form of advertising, you had to convince media outlets to write about you or you had to reach customers individually through direct selling. The new rules of marketing and PR is the idea that on the web there are millions of people who are looking for things online to buy or do and they go to search engines or they ask their friends, colleagues and social networks. The organizations and the people that create the best content will be the ones that show up in search engines and the more likely friends are to share them.
The New Rules of Marketing & PR Fourth Edition
The New Rules of Marketing and PR is about how to create content. World Wide Rave is another book by David Meerman Scott and in the last year, David has made his book completely free, and to get it search for World Wide Rave. David wrote another book called Real-Time Marketing and PR. When people are making purchasing decisions, they are doing it right now and his book is designed to show how to engage people in real-time. Most companies and organizations are focused on campaign marketing and most companies are doing that exclusively.
The idea of marketing is switching it around from doing it when a business is ready to when the customers are ready. News Jacking is the art and science of turning your ideas into a news story. It provides really cool ideas on how you can create something that people will see because you’re piggy-backing off of a breaking news story.
David gives 35 speeches a year all over the world. This month, David is traveling to Cairo and Cutter and he’ll be gone for six days. In November, he’s traveling to Buenos Aires and Istanbul.
The biggest mistake David sees companies make is that they talk about themselves way too much. And that doesn’t work in today’s world.
It’s very important to create content on the web. To have a great website, to have real-time content around that website, whether it’s a blog or YouTube videos and it’s important to put yourself out there on the web and through social networking.
Facebook has only been open since 2007. Twitter has only been around since 2007. It’s important for businesses to understand what this means for them and their future.
David Meerman Scott
Engaging Discussion Questions:
- Do you interact with your customers in Real-Time?
- Are you creating content on the web? If so, how?
Links to Great Stuff:
- David Meerman Scott – “David’s book The New Rules of Marketing & PR opened people’s eyes to the new realities of marketing and public relations on the Web. Six months on the BusinessWeek bestseller list and published in 26 languages from Bulgarian to Vietnamese, New Rules, now in its 4th edition, is a modern business classic. Scott’s popular blog and hundreds of speaking engagements around the world give him a singular perspective on how businesses are implementing new strategies to reach buyers.”
- “Success is creating a path that allows you to enjoy life.”
- “Social media is about engaging people.”
- “Social media is about listening.”
- “Social media is about sharing the content you create elsewhere.”
- “The way that people are solving other people’s problems on the web.”
- “No matter what you’re doing you’re gaining incredible knowledge, you’re learning and interacting with people.”
- “Everything that I’ve done all pointed me to where I am now so I don’t have any regrets.”
- “Create the content that will be valuable to the people you’re trying to reach.”
- “You need to be helpful on the web that will be beneficial to people.”
- “The New Rules of Marketing and PR is the idea that on the web there are millions of people who are looking for things online to buy.”
- “It’s the organizations and the people that create the best content that generate the higher search engine results and promoted in social networks.”
- “The New Rules of Marketing and PR is that the better your content is the more attention you drive to yourself and to your business.”
- “If you’re blogging, creating videos and active on social networks than you’re more likely to get noticed than someone who isn’t.”
- “I enjoy helping people and being able to interact with people and share ideas.”
- “I wasn’t scared to do things that people actually told me were a mistake.”
- Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, of by leaving reviews on our iTunes page! Find us anywhere by searching for the Defining Success Podcast!