Learn how Charlotte Clary started close to 30 different businesses and finally hit it big with her Ice Chips Candy when she appeared on ABC’s Shark Tank. She is now able to help support her and co-founder, Beverly Vines Hanes’ 39 different grandchildren as a result of the success she experienced from running her Ice Chips Candy business. Learn how the entrepreneurial mindset these ladies possessed helped make them the successes that they are today!
Thank you for visiting the Defining Success Podcast. Please download, subscribe and rate our podcast on iTunes – https://itunes.apple.com/us/
Charlotte Clary is a serial entrepreneur and estimates her and Beverly Vines Hanes started close to 30 different businesses while being home-makers and moms before they hit it big with Ice Chips Candy.
The more they understood about healthy products they understood the value of Xyletol and between the two of them they have 39 grandchildren. Once they came up with the idea and within the first 24 hours they created three different flavors.
They knew it was going to be a big hit when they implemented their tried and true sales process where they cold-called businesses and offered their product for free with the expectation that they could call back later. They started getting calls from those businesses before they even had a chance to call them.
In 2012, Charlotte Clary says Ice Chips Candy made more than 1.1 million dollars.
The biggest mistake Charlotte made was implementing a sales process that didn’t work, but in all honesty she didn’t feel it was a mistake, but that it was more of a learning process. Now they’ve been able to adjust the strategy of sending free tins to dental offices and have created a better sales strategy.
Charlotte says perseverance is her greatest asset. Having started 30 different businesses, she learned new skills in every business she started and applied that to every new business venture she began.
Every day is exciting for Charlotte and she loves looking at sales figures and beating sales figures every month. They’ve also been very fortunate that some great sales people have come aboard to help them grow their business. She loves that people are happy with her product and is excited that she’s able to give a healthy alternative to breath mints.
Being an entrepreneur is difficult. To keep up with the work of the business and maintaining your sales process is a challenge. They need to get people to help them and get that help as early on as possible. The business owner is the one that needs to make those decisions and it’s important to hire people to do the little things of the business.
Charlotte has always wanted a product in the marketplace and she has been able to fulfill her passion. She’s also been able to help others get jobs in her community and she loves that.
Charlotte possesses an entrepreneurial mindset and has learned essential skills along the way. Each business Charlotte became involved in gave her valuable skills that she was able to use in her future business ventures. To become successful in business, this is, in my opinion, the most important skill/trait to have.
Engaging Discussion Questions:
- If you could be a business owner, what kind of business would you start?
- What have you taken action on in the last year?
Links to Great Stuff:
- Ice Chips Candy – Please visit the Ice Chips Candy where you can order Ice Chips Candy, view Charlottes’ appearance on Shark Tank or see pictures of Charlotte and her partner, Beverly. If you prefer telephone, you can call them at (866) 202 – 6623.
- Shark Tank – The Shark Tank appears on ABC every Friday night. The sharks are entrepreneurs who invest in companies who pitch their product to the “Sharks.”
- “Create something and figure out how to get it out there.” – Charlotte Clary
- “Luck favors the prepared.” – Charlotte Clary
- If you have any questions regarding marketing your business online, please send me an email at Zeb@WelbornMedia.com. I can answer any questions you might have about marketing your business to others.
- Download, review and subscribe to the Defining Success Podcast on iTunes.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter – @DSuccessPodcast.
- Sign up for the Defining Success Podcast Newsletter.
- Introduce us to anyone who loves what they do and are successful doing it.